Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mantel of Inspiration

Mantels are a toughy for most and I am no exception! My mantel is wide but not very deep. To top it off, the whole back wall is brick and the mantel itself was very dark brown wood slab. Since my husband is dead set against changing the whole thing out, I had to work with what was there.

So, I whitewashed the mantel with a white pickling glaze. Had to do it two times to brighten it up. Oh, and I've played with the accessories a bajillion times and it never seems quite right. Or, my taste changes. Or, I just want to switch things up.

I forget, I also added a wood scrolly thingy to the front of the mantel to jazz it up a little. Painted it a medium brown and white washed it and glued it up. Really made a huge difference. The picture does not do it justice as it was a major change. And, it was before the bloggy world embraced me and I did not take pictures of everything!



Linking up to thenester.com mantel party.

6 comments:

  1. Hey there - it looks like you're having fun swappin' around the house! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens at my house, too. One thing leads to another!! Like your mantel, good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I totally do the swap all the time. Makes for a brand new house for free. :)

    The mirror and wreath look right at home above the fireplace! Great choice.

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always good to switch things up once in a while! I love your wreath:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loves our brick fireplace also. He won't hear of changing it out. I'm going through the links and finding those with brick fireplaces to get ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...