Monday, July 25, 2011

For the birds...

Inspired by Thrifty Decor Chick's "making something from nothing" July extravaganza, I started searching through the house and the shed and all over to see what kind of goodies I had laying around. I found a beauty in my pool house and something I had TOTALLY forgotten about buying. Bursting with excitement, I pulled it off the top shelf only to find the whole inside was plugged full of some kind of soft white, fluffy stuff. Finally dawned on me that was what happened to the stuffing from one of my lawn chair cushions that I found chewed up this past winter! Some critter was busy...and smart!
Anywhoooo, I had my husband pull it all out. Yes, I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to mice. I have had my share of rodents this Spring and Summer. I had already found a dead, dehydrated mouse when cleaning out the motor of my garage freezer. Oh, and let's not forget the bunny nest I uncovered when demulching my landscaping beds. Could hear me screaming for blocks!

Well, back to the makeover. I bought this birdhouse about 3 years ago for a couple of bucks and never knew what I wanted to do with it. I could feel the wheels start to churning as I kept looking around our property. Found a couple of old fence posts back in the shed and knew what I was going to do.
So I found some old beige paint and watered it down, after spraying a couple of coats of white from some old spray paint I had. Then I did a wash with the watered down beige paint. Found a piece of board, to mount the house to the pole. But first, I dug the hole, mixed quikcrete to mount the post down in the hole and let it stand overnight. The end result was a nice, aged birdhouse that looks like it's been there for years. Exactly what I wanted!





Hooking up this week with:







HOG

Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Garden Linky Party at Centsational Girl
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Great job repurposing. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the aged look you gave to the little birdhouse...I bet those birdies are gonna love that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your birdhouse so cute .. love it .. and the birds will move it to .. so colorful ..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...