Saturday, January 22, 2022

When your plan really isn't your plan after all.

I don't know about you but before I start a project, I start the vision for the project. Sometimes way before the project starts! But often, that vision changes multiple times before the project is finished. Heck sometimes I don't really even have a plan I just start painting or tearing out stuff and sometimes I just change my mind. But most times, it is because what I really want to do, for one reason or another, I can't. Take our basement bathroom for example. In this case I had a basic plan and everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

As I was thinking about the bathroom I realized I hated it in the furnace room to begin with. I also hated the sauna and shower the previous owners had installed at the other end of the basement (which we never use). So I put plans in motion to get rid of the sauna. This would free up a big chunk of space and my plan was to make it a full bath at that end of the basement as it already had a shower. Several months later, and multiple failed attempts to have sauna removed, I decided to tackle the 1/2 bath again. 




Original bathroom.








I was hoping to be able to move new sink to this wall to open up more space in the bathroom. But, was major issue so we decided against it.



Dark and dreary did not even begin to describe this room. So one day, with no particular plan in mind, I grabbed a gallon of paint and started painting. The whole time I was painting I didn't like it but kept going because I knew that everything was going to change and I might like it eventually.




First pass was painting. Didn't like color so repainted later but
used the first color on cinderblock as base coat for German Shmear.



After I finished painting the walls, I painted the shelves and put peel and stick wallpaper in the back. In both cases using leftover supplies. I loved the shelves but didn't like the beige color so painted it again using leftover Repose Grey paint. However was still debating over what to do with the cinder block wall and finally decided on a German shmear (which I had never tried before). I kept the beige color on the cinder block for the base and, used plaster spackling to create the shmear.


Painted shelves white and added wallpaper to line the back.



Added white to the beige as step 1




Second pass was a burgundy, using some leftover craft paint.





After adding black. 

Final look after adding 'shmear'


On the sink wall I used Palisades vinyl wall tile to cover that wall and somewhat to cover some of the wood panel since it is everywhere in this basement. 



Adding the vinyl wall tile.



Palisades vinyl wall tile is super easy to install. Measure, cut with utility knife, add Liquid Nails on the back and install.



Full view that captures the new sink, restyled shelves, 


After adding the groutless wall tile, I had my husband mount a mirror I purchased off of Marketplace. Then, since electrical has been crazy in this house, had an electrician install vanity light and hanging drum light.



$10 mirror from Facebook Marketplace.
Final cinder block after adding the texture for the shmear.




Purchased this drum light from Facebook Marketplace and I love it!
Reflects soft light all over the walls. 



I would love to have you follow me on Hometalk or Pinterest for more inspiring ideas!

Thank you for stopping by. 

Cyndi, the Decorating Chica






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...