Sunday, February 8, 2015

Quick and Easy is Chicken Enchilada Dinner

Pin It

Something strange is happening to me. I have felt this over the past year and I can't explain it. Where I used to hate to cook, I now kind of like it!

These chicken enchiladas were a BIG hit with the family!


The older I get, the more that is true. I even start my online searches with the word 'easy'.

Start by slow cooking the chicken in a crockpot for 6-8 hours.
Don't forget to add cumin, chili powder, and garlic.


Easy italian recipes, easy dog treats, easy DIY table projects. You name it, easy is my game.

Make an easy cheese sauce by starting with a bechamel then adding milk and cheese.


It is no different when it comes to cooking dinner. You see I have never really like to cook and used to buy frozen lasagna and frozen pizza, or order take out. Lately, I don't know but I am kinda gettin' into it and my boys love it! Maybe it is simply there appreciation!

Easy Mexican Rice as a side dish.



Whatever it is, I thought I would share my easy chicken enchilada dinner.

Chicken Enchiladas

  1. Slow cook chicken in crock pot (could be chicken breasts, chicken thighs). Quantity is dependent on how much you want to make.
  2. Add cumin, chili powder, fresh cilantro, and garlic. Again season to your taste. If you like it kickier, add more of the seasonings.
  3. Shred chicken once it is cooked.
  4. Roll chicken in flour tortillas. Be sure to warm the package of tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds first. They will roll much easier without tearing and breaking!
  5. Roll and line up in baking dish.
  6. Cheese sauce:
    1. Start with a bechamel sauce by melting one stick of butter in sauce pan.
    2. Add flour, one tablespoon at a time, and whisk into butter until thicken. (Probably would not take more than 2-3 tbls.) Bechamel should be thick!
    3. Add milk (can use heavy cream if you like a rich sauce or 1% milk if you want a low fat version). Quantity depends on how much sauce you want but I would say 2-3 cups.
    4. Simmer on low and gradually start adding shredded cheese. I like to use a variety for flavor. Colby-Jack, Cheddar, Monterray cheddar, etc. I like ours real cheesy so I add about 3 cups of cheese.
    5. Continue to simmer until cheese is melted, whisking as you go to blend sauce.
    6. Pour over rolled tortillas, top with shredded cheese, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min-1 hour.
  7. Mexican Rice.
    1. Chop up peppers (yellow, red, and green), tomatoes, garlic, onions and fresh cilantro. Saute in butter.
    2. Add chicken broth and rice
    3. Add chili powder and cumin
    4. Simmer all in one pan until rice is cooked.
    5. Top with cilantro and cheese and serve.

Linking up to:
Happiness is Homemade
Real food Fridays
Table it! Link Party


3 comments:

  1. Chicken enchiladas sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks good! I am all about the easy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything made with chicken and this recipe does sound easy. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...