Saturday, January 8, 2011

Best Junk of 2011


This is the weekend to honor junk over at Funky Junk Interiors and I am a well-known junker in my part of the world. In fact, one of my best friends confessed to grabbing a table out of her neighbors garbage and said it was my fault! Yikes, what an influence I have on my peeps!


All in all, this project only cost 
me $10 for the chalkboard paint.


This project started with the frame you see below. When we were clearing out my hubby's grandmas house, I quickly grabbed up this find. It was not much to speak of (wish I had pictures) but once I pulled out the print and gave it a paint treatment it was great in my dining room. Originally there were 2 similar types of frames/print although not a match. I gave them the same paint treatment (the dining room wall color as a base coat with a white crackle finish over the top) and hung both together as empty frames. G R E A T conversation piece. Nobody could understand why I would just hang a couple of empty frames but everybody liked it!

This is the frame. It has been painted and 
spray painted and crackled to end 
up like this.






That's been several years ago and they have gone through many transitions since then. One is no longer as the frame broke and was unrepairable. Alas, the lone frame is now a victim of one final update as seen below.







This is a scrap piece of plywood that has been 
used for a school project by my youngest son, 
cut and now reused as the background 
board for the frame.



Added some lovely chalkboard paint. 
Did have to go out and buy another can. 
Had a can for a few years just waiting 
for a project and couldn't find it...argh!
   
Some of my other fun junk projects for 2011 were:

For the Birds--Repurposing a
birdhouse for the garden.


Birthing New Chairs -- How I rescued
Craig's List chairs





Linking this project up to:

11 comments:

  1. Love this! Looks layered on a bulletin board?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to give it new life! It looks just fabulous and I'm so thrilled that you linked this up to the Inspiration Friday party this week! I hope to see much more of you in the future!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several frames waiting to be made into chalkboards. This makes me want to get them done now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there- this is a darling chalkboard! I love to make chalkboards out of old ornate pretty frames too- so much fun! Yours is beautiful! Stopping by from Vanessa's party- nice to meet you- stop by and say hello sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chalkboard looks great! It's addicting using that stuff :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love love love to turn junk into treasure! Featured you here: http://adiamondinthestuff.blogspot.com/ Grab a featured button while your there! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GOOD PROJECT. Great repurpose on the board and frame!! love it!

    xo jeanne

    http://beeskneesbungalow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the two together! They look lovely!!! Thanks for sharing. I need to get some chalkboard paint. Where did you get yours? I am your newest follower. Hope you visit me sometime too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The two pieces with the black & white color combo look great together! Very clever of you!

    Thanks for linking up Potpourri Friday. You are a real asset to the success of this party and I appreciate you! I will look forward to seeing what you create for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice piece and very functional also. I think I need to find a nice frame nd make one for my daughter as she just recently bought her first home....she can leave her bf notes....
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...