Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Breakin' the Rules: My Chalk Paint Adventures

Pin It

Yup I finally did it. I bit the bullet and dove into the world of chalk paint. Now it's not that I haven't been reading about it for awhile but honestly, I didn't see much advantage over traditional furniture painting. Except for one thing. No prep. 


This is how the dresser looked when I got it.
Cost? Nothing. Well, it didn't cost money anyway!

Don't get me wrong I love to repurpose and repaint furniture but the prep work? Not so much. So, when I read about how easy chalk paint is and that there is little to no prep work. Well, that was it for me. I decided I had to try it.


Can't beat the price of this recipe!
You know what they say about the best laid plans? There was not a place to be found in the surrounding 2-3 cities that sold chalk paint. However one day I saw an ad on Craigs List for chalk paint and it was a couple of miles awhile. Can't beat that! I was so excited so off I went to check out this store. Made a total of five trips to this store and they NEVER had much selection of chalk paint on hand. Oh, yeah they could mix me up some if I wanted to come back another day. Or, they would get a new shipment in yet today, they were sure.


Cabinet post chalk paint and stencil.

So I went back to the internet and decided to mix my own. I chose the one of the Plaster of Paris recipes that I found. Loved applying it but after it is all said and done...can't say that I am sold. I think the work is about the same and it is definitely not as resistant as I would prefer. But for now, I love how it turned out which is a big change from the before.



For this week I'm linking up to:
A Stroll Thru Life/Inspire Me Tuesday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia/Tuesday's Treasures
Savvy Southern Style/WUW


Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking

2 comments:

  1. This is such a fabulous transformation. I love it. Wow, great job. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently started using chalk paint (Annie Sloan and Ce Ce Caldwell) and I've tried a couple different DIY recipes. In my opinion, the homemade stuff is nothing like the store-bought. It dries slower, and still keeps some of the latex stretchiness. Store-bought chalk paint isn't perfect; it has its drawbacks too. I use different paint on different pieces to achieve different looks. I'll still use my $2 "oops" paint gladly though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...