Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Exterior Decorating for Free

Pin It

What can I say about rocks? Actually I could say a lot but for now,
rocks are a landscapers friend!

This beautiful gate came from a church attic and a friend surprised me with it as a thank you for all my work painting theatre sets! Let me tell you it is never going anywhere. It weighs a ton!


Yup, you read right. Free! I am all over it. I love to decorate the outside just as much as the inside and I especially love to find great stuff to use in my landscaping that is free. Really, if you get the right mindset it is quite easy. You just have to think outside the box.


Bricks are everywhere and these came from my sister's inlaws.

Old windows are great to use outside and in this case, are curbside finds.

Keep your eyes peeled and your mind open and you will find a great variety of things that are fun to use in your landscaping. Really the sky is the limit! 

Rocks are free if you keep your eyes open. These beauties (original pile was about double) were sitting in my neighbors driveway and I stopped one night as we were walking and asked if he was getting rid of them. Spring is a great time to drive out in the country and look along the roadside near plowed fields. Farmers will pile rocks, found when plowing, along the road or at the end of a driveway for free pickup.


Don't expect to find these cement planters for free. This was a special blessing and had been sitting in the backyard of my sisters inlaws, full of weeds and half buried and I asked if I could have it.

These large 'display' type rocks are hard to find but can be beautiful when you do!
This beauty was found right on our property.

I love anything with history and character. I am not even sure where I got this!


Bricks are another easy find. Lots of people tend to have a few extra bricks laying around leftover from a project. Ask your friends on Facebook and you will be surprised! Don't worry if they don't match, that is part of the uniqueness!

Perennials are another great freebie. Especially if you are thinning out some of your own or your perennials have babies in the Spring. Organize a perennial trade party or ask around on Facebook. you will be amazed how many people have extras!

Keep your eyes open and happy hunting!

Linking up this week at:

Hump Day Happenings
Share Your Talent With Twirl
Share Your Stuff Tuesday
    


2 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I've never had an outdoor space to decorate, but now I have a little covered balcony, so I can't wait to put some beauty in it! Thanks for sharing on Hump Day Happenings : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also find great rocks when you dig a little in the garden. Some are huge. We found a lot of quartz-looking rocks on evening walks by vacant lots. (that almost rhymes!) We took a few every night in the bottom of the stroller. They're now unique borders to our landscaping.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...