Sunday, July 6, 2014

Easy Peasy Low Fat Seafood Alfredo

Pin It

There is nothing I like better than easy cooking. For this family of five, with three young men that have big appetites, easy cooking works well because as my 16 year old says "I have come to the conclusion with food that it is quantity over quality."


Shrimp and scallops, sauteing with onion, fresh basil, and lots of garlic.
Oh and I threw some leftover broccoli from the other nig
ht.

However, even though cooking is not my favorite thing, over the years I have begun to appreciate the value of the quality like fresh herbs vs. dried, fresh lemon vs. store bought lemon in a jar... Yeah, you get the picture.


Add the milk and let it bubble on low.
But at the end of the day, I would rather be painting a piece of furniture or out in my garden vs. spending time in the kitchen cooking. So I stick to easy recipes that still have the quality, oh and of course, quantity as well!

Probably my signature would be a "Breakin' the Rules" type cooking. I tend to use a recipe as a jumping off point (kind of like in decorating I suppose) and mix and match from there.

Shrimp and Scallop Alfredo
Fresh or frozen shrimp
Fresh or frozen scallops
Margarine
Chopped onion
Fresh basil
Cooked angel hair pasta
2% Milk
garlic
Fresh squeezed Lemon (if desired)
Wondra/Corn starch
Parmesan cheese (asagio, romano, etc.)

I don't add quantities because I don't measure I just pour. And, I cook in large quantities to satisfy large appetites.

Start by sauteing the shrimp, scallops, onion, basil, and garlic in the margarine. Squeeze in lemon and add the milk and simmer on low.


Low fat, easy seafood alfredo


After about 20 minutes, add Wondra or corn starch to thicken the sauce. Precook the pasta and add the noodles to the thickend sauce. Add the cheese and continue to simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes.


Wondra is WONDERFUL to thicken sauces. For those gluten free, use corn starch.



Linking up to:
Serenity Saturday at Serenity You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...