Sunday, October 3, 2021

What to do with old wine bottles? An Upcycled Wine Bottle Project

At the start of our second summer at our #1951renovation found me removing wine/liquor bottles from a rock wall the surrounded the pond. Although I didn't dislike them, I was finding so much broken glass that I knew I had to take them out as I was worried about my dog cutting her paws.

Using foam filler to secure the posts in the ground
Securing the posts and frame with quick set foam.

I had no idea how many bottles were buried in the wall, it was crazy! I kept pulling more and more out!

Built and installed the frame.

After I rebuilt the rock wall surrounding the pond I pondered what to do with all the bottles. What I really wanted was one of those cool bottle walls but I knew I didn't have the time or resources to build one. As I was researching other ideas I had no idea my husband was planning the bottle wall. So, while it took a couple months to get completed, my husband built me a beautiful bottle wall!

Adding the bottles one row at a time.

My husband built the frame (didn't take pictures) and after we installed the frame he started adding the bottles one row at a time. This was quite time consuming. First he power washed the bottles as they were full of mold and dirt from being in the ground. Then he used a glass drill bit and drilled hole in the bottom. Added hooks to the top and bottom of frame where he wanted the rows of bottles then ran cable thru the bottles and hung on hooks. He used a kind of clamping thing in between each bottle so they won't slide around.


Added pavers and secured with Paver Set from Lowes


Added some landscaping. Since it was end of September, choices were limited for perennials.




Plants and mulch added. Reusing limestone from an old retainer wall for behind the bottle wall.



Upon completion, I decided to lay some patio stones and landscape the area better. While not 100% finished as I have a couple of stumps behind the wall to remove and will then landscape that area.




Patio area and bottle wall finished. 





The dirt area in back needs a couple stumps removed. 
Will then add more limestones and mulch.

After I remove the two stumps behind the bottle wall, I will finish with more lime stones and mulch. Additionally I have a large mirror that I will hang on the fence in back to reflect the bottles and light.


Linking up to:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my nest. I love to hear from my visitors! Leave your comments here:

The Wallpaper from Hell

Pin It My first project of 2024 finds me updating my hallway with board and batten wainscoting and peel and stick wallpaper treatment at th...